Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
October 7, 2015
- BMP board members: Susan Rhoads, Shelly Hoffman, Laura Martin
- Teachers: Amy Blosser, Sandra Crandall
- Parents: Andrea Lourie, Kris Lape, Jody and Matt Copp
Sandra Crandall, Orchestra:
- The Oct. 6 orchestra concert went well; she was pleased with the performances.
- 17 is the High School Orchestra Play-a-Thon fundraiser. Students will play from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. Parents interested in helping are encouraged to sign up via a “sign-up genius” that is being send via email. The day concludes with a 5:30 p.m. demonstration.
- Two high school students qualified for Regional Orchestra: Sophia Petrov and Matthew Persaud; Matthew also is first alternate for All-State Orchestra.
- Meeting on Friday with clinician from Cleveland.
Amy Blosser, Choir:
- Reported that Andy Johnson is off, with a new baby.
- Fall concert on Sept. 20 was a month earlier than in years past. Students did a great job.
- Working towards the Dec. 13 winter concert.
- Reported on her trip to Sweden, where from Sept. 24-Oct. 9 she attended the International Conductors Exchange.
- VE’s Halloween Cabaret is Oct. 24 & 25. Will be promoted with new sandwich boards and banners designed by Donna Hecker. This year, just desserts and coffee will be served to cut down on expenses.
- Election Day bake sale on Nov. 3.
- VE retreat is Nov. 6 & 7
- VE women and Chorale will be singing for Nutcracker in December
Membership – Susan Rhoads
- Membership VP Elizabeth Westley was out of the country for work. Susan Rhoads provided brief update.
- Membership drive is open through Oct. 31. Yard signs will be ordered in early November so they will be available before winter break.
Communications – Shelly Hoffman
- Updated on the progress of developing content for new website and asked for feedback on the launch of the first BMP e-newsletter.
- Need to make sure that lifetime members are included in the membership email list.
- Will contact Mike Nolan for additional pictures
Fundraising – Susan Rhoads
- Presented logo design options for t-shirts that will be sold to students and their families as a fundraiser. Meeting attendees provided input on designs and asked for revisions on several options which teachers will take to students for feedback.
- Also shared other options for items that can be sold as fundraisers:
- Water bottles
- Travel Mugs
- Locker magnets
- Fleece scarves
- Will contact Charles Cihon to see if apparel sales can be added to the BMP website.
- Still looking for volunteer(s) to spearhead Community Days, reaching out to local businesses, primarily restaurants to sponsor a day where percentage of sales will be donated to BMP
- Discussed OMEA concessions as another opportunity to raise funds. Teachers are reluctant to commit because of the amount of time and resources required from them at a time they are already stretched thin. No decision reached.
- 7 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 4 in the Community Room, Cassingham complex.