Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
November 4, 2015
- BMP board members: Susan Rhoads, Shelly Hoffman
- Teachers: Amy Blosser, Sandra Crandall
- Parents: Julie Gold, Mitch Hirsch, Rhonda Foreman, Amy Lauerhass, Cyndi Abdon, Andrea Lourie
Sandra Crandall, Orchestra:
- The Oct. 17 Play-a-thon fundraiser was very successful, raising more than $3,000
- Held the first distance learning session with Cleveland Institute. Second session scheduled for Nov. 20.
- Orchestra holiday concert, featuring high school students only, is set for7:30 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 2 in the Schottenstein Theater.
- Two high school students qualified for Regional Orchestra: Sophia Petrov and Matthew Persaud.
Amy Blosser, Choir:
- Middle school musical will be Annie Get Your Gun.
- The high school musical, The Drowsy Chaperone, will run Nov, 19- 21.
- Eleven students applied for honor choir, waiting to hear back.
- Vocal Ensemble’s Halloween Cabaret was very successful. Changed format to dessert only, added pay-for-song requests. More than 200 in attendance on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday 140 presales and 75-80 walk-ins.
- Election Day bake sale also was successful.
- VE retreat this weekend.
- Hiring out VE for holiday parties as fundraiser, looking for corporate parties in particular
- 11, middle school singing at the Veteran’s Day assembly and then going to Summit Trace to sing.
- Holiday concert schedule.
- 5: 7th and 8th grade winter choir concert at 10:30 a.m. at the Montrose Festival of Arts.
- 6: Choirs singing at tree lighting at 4 p.m.,
- 13: High school winter choral concert, 2 p.m. Schottenstein Theater
- 17: VE Statehouse performance at noon
- 19 & 20 both shows of Ballet Mets’ nutcracker Snow chorus – Women only
- The high school band is marching in the Nov. 6 Columbus Veteran’s Day Parade,
- The high school band to playoffs in Jackson, also on Nov. 6.
- Started concert band.
- Need to pay for Jason Hogue
Budget Report – presented by Susan Roads in Sally Dunn’s absence
Reviewed report on actual and budgeted income for 2013-14 and 2014-15 and budget income for 2015-16. (See full report posted on bexleymusicparents.org)
Noted loss of income from:
- Lion’s Pride
- OMEA event
For this year, spirit wear may make a good deal of lost income.
- Accompanist fees are now combined for middle and high school.
- Percussion specialist played specifically for band.
- Uniform savings, $1,000 annually banked per BMP bylaws.
- New item this year expenses is for the cello specialist, a request made last year because of the imbalance of cellists in the orchestra this year.
- Budgeted to operate as a deficit this year. Same as last year. However, last year
BMP came out in the green, can carry over that amount for this year.
- Amy confirmed that we are NOT hosting OMEA this year, out as a fundraising option
- OMEA accompanist included in OMEA fee expenses.
Budget correction – take OMEA event out as a revenue.
Membership Report – Presented by Susan Rhoads in Elizabeth Westley’s absence
- Fall membership campaign closed at end of October, was very successful.
- Last year’s membership analysis showed that total participation was 30 percent of all music families. Don’t have analysis on overall participation for this year.
- Have had enrollment increases but also have larger student base
- Band family members increased by 25 over last year for an 85% increase.
- Choir had a 15 families increase, for 26% growth.
- Orchestra has 17additional families for a 77% increase.
- Total overall increase in membership is 51.8%.
- Hope to deliver yard signs to new members prior to winter break.
Fundraising – Susan Roads
- Presented results of student input on t-shirt logo designs.
- “Bexley 43209” was selected as the t-shirt logo design.
- Decided on use of three images: one for hat, one for t-shirt, one for baseball style shirt.
- Also want a coffee travel mug as an option.
- Want items available for sale at holiday concert events.
- No December meeting. Next meeting is January 6.
- Setting up signup genius to staff for Festival of the Arts table.
- Applying for bake sale permission for December concerts.