Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
January 6, 2016
- BMP board members: Laura Martin, Shelly Hoffman, Elizabeth Westley
- Teachers: Amy Blosser, Sandra Crandall, Jason Hogue
- Parents: Andrea Lourie, Charles Cihon, Amy Lauerhaus, Mitch Hirsch, Brian Bates, Cyndi Abdon, Jodi Copp
Laura Martin opened the meeting as the new president for BMP, following the resignation of Susan Rhoads. Laura thanks Susan for her service.
The board will present suggestions for improving the scholarships previously offered through BMP at the February meeting.
Jazz it Up Update provided by chair Brigid Arace, read by Laura Martin
- Jazz it Up will be held on Saturday, April 30 at Capital University’s Campus Center.
- Music provided by the Columbus Jazz Arts Trio. Working on getting Bexley MS and HS jazz musicians to perform at the beginning of the event in the lobby.
- Event features live music, food and beverages, silent auction, awards (Friend of Bexley Music and Outstanding Alum) and raffle prizes. Huge fundraiser for BMP. Have budgeted $10,000 in this year’s budget from the proceeds.
- Tickets cost $30 per person. Each year we sell approximately 125 tickets, mainly to current and past parents of Bexley music students.
- Invitations will be mailed in early March. Tickets can be purchased by check or on the BMP website.
- The revenue from the event comes from corporate sponsorships (which helps offset the cost of the venue, music and food), ticket sales and silent auction proceeds.
- BMP action needed:
- List the event on the website calendar
- Enable purchase of tickets on the website
- Allow tickets sales at spring music events
- Help recruit volunteers
- Include in announcements at Winter and Spring Music events
- Silent auction donations – solicit donations from parents and community businesses. Chairs: Kim Keiser and Sally Dunn
- Publicity – Send notices to the three elementary schools for inclusion in their newsletters; hang posters and flyers in the community; send notice to This Week in Bexley. Chair Open
- Sponsorship – help identify potential sponsors, suggesting one of four levels (see sheet). Chair Matt Copp
- Ticket sales and promotion – Staff music events and take ticket reservations at the April concerts and festivals (April 13, 19, 20 and 28). Chair Open
- Decoration and set up – On site at the venue to set up the Silent Auction items and decorations – 5 to 7pm on April 30. Chair Brigid Arace
Budget Report on hold until the February meeting.
Orchestra: Sandra Crandall
- Finished five holiday orchestra concerts. All went well. Students are back and working hard. The additional cello instructor, Mary Beth Duffy, began working with students just before break. Sandy is very grateful for the additional help.
- Symphonia is preparing for contest.
- A student who is an Eagle Scout is doing a project on instruments for disadvantaged students. Collecting money and or instruments at upcoming concerts. Want to help him all we can. Contact is Sandy Crandall.
- OMEA solo and ensemble Feb. 18. Sending 4 ensembles and 10 solos
- Bus is full for Chicago trip. 48 students going.
Jazz Band: Jason Hogue
- Up in running, both groups rehearsing at 7 a.m.
- Excited for Jazz it up – will bring MS and HS combos
- Last year did pre-Jazz It Up event. For Jazz It Up will have both big bands and combos – all four groups.
- It was decided that the 2016 pre-Jazz It Up Contest will be at 7 p.m., Friday, April 15, at the Cassingham complex cafeteria.
- Will have desserts again, also will have a jar to take donations.
- Want to turn cafeteria into a jazz club. Discussed lighting and use of contact for cabaret tables. It’s the only all-jazz event that the school district has.
- Want to involve visual arts students as they did last year to create art based on music performed and auction pieces at Jazz It Up.
- Also last year someone took B&W photos that were then auctioned off.
- The jazz band needs a sound system – five mics and PA system, then they become a mobile ambassador and can do fundraisers.
Choir: Amy Blosser
- Busy December:
- Festival of arts, HS concerts very successful.
- Nutcracker performances on Dec. 19th & 20
- VE travelled and did seven difference performances including Montrose, Maryland, Bexley tree lighting, statehouse (See link posted on Facebook for statehouse performance).
- In Dec. found out we were awarded a Bexley Education Foundation grant to support the February composer in residence concert.
- Fri Jan. 15 VE travels to Toronto. Performing four times in two days.
- VE has two conference performances.
- Public concert for VE at Bexley United Methodist Church at 3 p.m. Sunday, Jan 24.
- VE In Cincy for OMEA on Sat. Jan 30th and will perform at 10:30 a.m.
- In Feb: 4, 5 & 6 are performance dates for Annie Get Your Gun, the middle school musical.
- 7 the date for Women’s Chorale’s Cupid Cabaret at the Bexley United Methodist Church.
- 23, 7 p.m. artist is the choral department’s artist-in-residence concert with Tim Takach, founding member of Cantus, a professional male ensemble. Takach, from Minneapolis, Minn., will be writing a piece for VE that will be sung as world premier by VE at the American Choral Directors Conference in Chicago on Feb. 26
- ACA conference, Amy presenting and ACDA in Chicago, representing Bexley.
Membership Update: Elizabeth Westley
- There have been a few issues with yard sign order issues and the online orders. We will do a second order for yard signs soon.
- Ordered 117 signs this year, last year only ordered 46. Result of a successful membership campaign.
- We really increased membership this year through website, Facebook page, summer advocacy.
- However, we didn’t create budget reflecting increased yard sign order.
- Still a few signs that need to be distributed.
- Sandy wants a list to know what students get yard signs so they get to the right kids.
- Can do distribution better next year. Box of signs dropped at school, not sorted.
- Elizabeth will be putting a better process in place for next year.
Communications: Shelly Hoffman
- Working to balance program representation on Facebook. Asked teachers to encourage parents and student officers to post photos and other content representing their program.
- Also need to generate additional photos and content to balance.
- Agreed to change out Facebook photo occasionally. Current photo is marching band.
- Send Shelly photos and news items to be included in various communication vehicles – website, Facebook and e-newsletter.
- Will promote BMP’s Facebook page in e-newsletter.
- Can make the travel bag tags for instruments w/logo to use for Orchestra travel trip.
- Hope to have results of t-shirt sales at next meeting and confirm from Susan Rhoads whether she can continue to manage merchandise sales.
Next meeting, Weds. Feb. 3 – note the start time is 7:30 p.m.:
Among the upcoming agenda items:
- Budget update
- Merchandise update – waiting to hear back from Susan for full status
- T-shirt sales
- Bake sale update