Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
February 3, 2016
- BMP board members: Laura Martin, Shelly Hoffman, Elizabeth Westley, Sally Dunn
- Teachers: Sandra Crandall, Jason Hogue
- Parents: Jodi Copp, Matt Copp, Kevin Flanigan, Amy Lauerhass, Mitch Hirsch, Julie Gold
Old Business: Laura Martin
- Reviewed 2016 meeting schedule and locations. (All posted on bexleymusicparents.org)
- The scholarship discussion was table for a future meeting as the board was unable to meet.
- Still looking for a parent volunteer for fundraising – arranging community nights with local businesses.
Treasurer’s Report: Sally Dunn
- Still don’t have budget.
- Parent liaisons for each program – need names, telephone numbers, email if they need to pass money along, etc.
- Liaison position doesn’t work for Sandy Crandall.
- If a music teacher needs a check they need to email Sally and she’ll send with her daughter, Halley, next day or drop it off at school.
Membership: Elizabeth Westley
- Had a person join online – wants a yard sign.
- Yard sign issues – some lost at school. Need to rethink how to distribute better next year.
- Have not yet finalized second yard sign order. Trying to get back the ones misspelled back to send back to vendor to be replaced at no additional cost.
Orchestra report: Sandy Crandall
- Solo and ensemble contest on Feb. 15 with 9 soloists and 4 ensembles
- OMEA state contest concert Thurs. Feb. 18 at 7:30 pm. Invited BMP to plug Jazz it Up.
- Contest on Feb. 19 at Reynoldsburg, don’t’ have times yet, chaperones are needed
- All sectionals done.
- Many people came out to work with the students. Local musicians and directors. Would not be possible without Bexley Music Parents. Mary Beth is still working with cellos. Others include:
- Joe Mueller, cello
- Elise Skaggs, violin and viola
- Doug Wright, bass
- John Pellegrino, bass
- John Deliman, clinician
- We are the smallest high school that sends a class A orchestra to contest.
- Venkat Sivaraman will perform with New Albany 3.
- Just back from convention. Vocal Ensemble session very well attended.
- Referenced her Facebook post about Mike Brosius, 2007 BHS grad. Mike comes back every summer to work band and orchestra camp.
- CYO Concerto competition on April 7.
Jazz Band: Jason Hogue
- Preparing for March 2 band concert.
- April 15 is the Jazz showcase to promote Jazz It Up. Working on making cafeteria less “cafeteria like.”
- Main concern is getting a PA system. Cost will be about $2,000. Once they get that, will call chamber of commerce to see where in the community they can play. Sandy says to talk with Diane Goodney see where they are on repair/replace budget and see if there are unspent dollars. Need to spend out by April 15 or encumber it.
- Will try to plan a trip for next year.
- General band news: Division III women’s national basketball championship is on March 19 at Capital University and Bexley has been asked to be in the pep band. Will be on national TV.
Jazz it Up – Matt Copp
- Doing corporate sponsorship. Great response from Dr. Politi’s group – Orthopedic One.
- Additional fundraising idea: Dr. Politi’s orthopedic group has a Spirit Sprint 5 K run/walk that he does on his own with a $10,000 prize for school with most participants. Wants Bexley to increase presence at the event. We need to get on the mailing list for planning the event for 2016. Want to further explore.
Choir: Report provided by Amy Blosser, read by Laura Martin
- Annie Get Your Gun opens Feb. 4
- The next concert for MS choirs is the Composer-in-Residence on Tues., Feb. 23 at 7 pm. Will be with the HS choirs – similar to last year. Call time will be emailed to parents, but most likely will be at 6:30 p.m. and will be in full concert attire. Will need assistance from parents.
- Eleven HS soloists will participate in OMEA Solo & Ensemble contest on Feb. 13. Thank you to BMP for making it possible for them to have an accompanist provided which encourages more singers to participate.
- Women’s Chorale’s annual “Cupid Cabaret” this Sun., Feb. 7 at 2 p.m. in the Maloney Center at Bexley UMC (new space).
- The next concert for HS choirs is the Composer-in-Residence concert on Tues., Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. Call time will be emailed to parents, but most likely will be 6:15-6:30pm and will be in full concert attire. Looking for assistance from parents.
- Composer for this concert is Tim Takach, co-founder of the professional male ensemble, Cantus. A Minneapolis based composer, Takach will work with all choir students, grades 7-12. Vocal Ensemble will premiere a new composition written for them entitled “Fragile” at this concert.
- Tim and Amy will be interviewed live for Classical 101/WOSU on Jennifer Hambrick’s show at 1:30 p.m., Tues. Feb. 23 to promote his residency. Hambrick also will include information about Composer-in-Residence concert in her blog.
- VE performed at the OMEA Professional Conference on Jan. 30 to a packed crowd of music educators. They sang beautifully, and those in attendance were very appreciative, giving them a standing ovation until the last singer left the room.
- VE was selected to perform at the American Choral Directors Association Conference Feb. 25-27 in Chicago. They are one of only two high school choirs in our division (Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Indiana) and the only one from Ohio. At the performance, they will be giving the world premiere of “Fragile” and performing part of their OMEA program.
- Amy will present a session on Repertoire entitled “All Roads Lead to Repertoire: Creating a Successful Program through Appropriate Literature Selection,” at the ACDA conference in Boston on Feb. 12. In addition, she will be presenting a session on mentoring the young conductor through their first five year at the ACDA conference in Chicago.
- For all concerts requesting assistance from band and orchestra parents to serve as ushers on the outside of the auditorium doors.
- No report from Andy
- Upcoming band trip over Valentine’s Day weekend to Chicago. Performing for well-known conductor at Northwestern, going to museums.
- Kids finished fundraising.
- Going to do bake sales at next concerts.
- Elizabeth will send sign up genius out to orchestra parents.
- Will discuss merchandise items at next meeting.