Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
February 1, 2017
- BMP board members: Laura Martin, Andrea Lourie, Rhonda Lasher, Shelly Hoffman
- Teachers: Amy Blosser, Sandra Crandall
- Parents: Natalie Cohen, Amy Cihon, Charles Cihon, Stacy Beckman, Jessica Ditullio, Laura Robertson Boyd
Advocacy Update – Laura Martin and Andrea Lourie
- BMP Executive Board met with Amy Blosser on aspirational goals to see how BMP can best support the choir program. Will also meet with Sandy Crandall and Stephanie Krosnosky. Plans to meet with Jason Hogue and trying to schedule with Andy Johnson. If you have interest in helping, let Andrea and Laura know.
- Andrea Lourie represented BMP at both the advanced accreditation and superintendent search meetings. She reported that both meetings talked about the great things about the music program as well as challenges. She said there are number of indicators that we are not deploying teaching resources appropriately – the need to assess.
Volunteer Opportunities – Andrea Lourie
- Next concert bake sale is for band on Feb. 28. Original volunteer to coordinate bake sale is out of the country and unable to fulfill responsibility. Looking for another parent volunteer to coordinate. Responsibilities include coordinating volunteers, sending some email and phone calls.
- Also, looking for volunteers for spring event. Instead of Jazz it Up, on Sunday, May 7, 7-9 p.m. Bexley Music Parents’ Golden Gala at Jeffrey Mansion. In process of growing that team of volunteers. Need people to help with logistics, silent auction and donations. Vision is to celebrate, highlight Bexley music program and will feature student musicians, desert and champagne. Still in planning stages. Have small but mighty group. Announcement will go out this week.
Jazz Band – Andrea Lourie for Jason Hogue
- Trumpeter Ben Huntoon has been confirmed as this year’s guest artist. He will perform with the band on theMarch 16 concert, as well as attend rehearsals and leading trumpet sectionals.
- Saxophonist Bryan Olsheski will be attending rehearsals to assist the saxes.
- The jazz combos will be performing at the BMP birthday celebration.
- Students attended the Matt Wilson Quartet concert through tickets paid for by BMP.
Choir – Amy Blosser
- Seventeen soloist went to OMEA contest on Jan. 21.
- Next event is Chorale’s Cupid Cabaret Sunday, Feb. 12 at 2 p.m., at BUMC, soloists, small group acts, coffee and deserts, donations for coffee and some food, mini raffle. Adults $10, students, seniors and staff are $8. All you can eat desert. Proceeds going to support survivors of human trafficking: Survivors, Inc. and Freedom A la Cart, catering company owned by survivors.
- Middle School Musical opens tomorrow – Lion King.
- Amy not going to be at the March BMP meeting.
- Next big concert is Sunday, March 5 – focusing on celebrating the work of women. MS and HS choirs.
- March 14, 7 p.m., elementary and middle school choir festival.
- Friday, March 17 VE heads to NYC, leave on Friday, March 17 return on Tues March 21. Three performances. Monday night is at Lincoln Center.
- April 8 – MS solo and ensemble contest. Deadline for registration is March 11.
- OMEA honor choir at Van Wert HS. Amy conducted OMEA honor choir at Van Wert HS, selected piece written by Eric Barnum as composer in residence for VE.
- Amy gone in March, Minneapolis for national conference of the American Choral Directors .Association. She’s an officer. Also presenting a session on mentoring with Chris Gilmore.
Orchestra – Sandra Crandall
- 45 kids in solo and ensemble contest; all superior ratings.
- Orchestra having a theory class.
- Past weekend was the middle school honors orchestra. Coached violin and viola sectional.
- Leaving tomorrow for OMEA.
- 11, Orchestra clinic day.
- Not going to states this year.
- Announced she is retiring this year. District is involved in posting her position. They are changing the job description to grades 4-12 orchestra and general elementary education music. Will impact candidate pool. Andrea said it seems to be opportunity to do some advocacy and have parents.
- Laura Robertson-Boyd is rallying support for orchestra to change the posting. Wants to get a group of parents together.
- BMP also willing to support, write letters,
- Could put together groups of parents to talk to Dr. Williams, Caudill, and superintendent
- Number of orchestra students: 60 high school, 55 in middle school.
- 39 Percent of the high school population is in music program.
- Want data to compare to other schools like Upper Arlington.
- Next BMP meeting is March 1, in the BHS library.