Bexley Music Parents Meeting Minutes
March 1, 2017
- BMP board members: Laura Martin, Andrea Lourie, Shelly Hoffman
- Parent: Natalie Cohen
- There has been a decrease in volunteering. Band bake sale on 2/28 prepared about 9 dozen bake goods. Cleared in excess of $200. Selling CDs at the choir concert on 3/5 – not doing a bake sale. Having a bake sale at the elementary school choir concert on March 14.
- For next year, will change the way we follow-up on membership form to encourage more volunteers.
- Need to circle back to Laura Robertson Boyd about the orchestra director posting. She had communicated to Shelly that the issue was resolved and the posting had been changed so that it no longer included general music for elementary school. Andrea will reach out and will report back.
- Spring event committee will meet this week. Will send up a sign-up genius to get more volunteers. Shelly will post to Facebook and check to make sure it is included on the calendar on website. Laura to do a mass email. Laura to reach out to Charles to update website for ticket sales. Need more information, logo, ticket prices, save the date.
- April’s meeting is when we develop a slate of officers which we vote on for the May meeting. Positions are: president, president elect, secretary, treasurer (two spots/shared position).
Band – Leslie Cohen for Andy Johnson
- Andy hasn’t been able to attend BMP meetings because he has a meeting that conflicts.
- Amazing concert for MS/HS band on Feb. 28, featured Prism and the Clarinet Choir.
- Band received a superior rating at OMEA and wanted to highlight work, as well as a number of soloists.
- March 4 HS Band state contest at Worthington.
- February had a lot of guest teachers – using Bexley Music Parents funds.
- Been a lot of after school hours for band rehearsal.
- April 20 is a 5-12th grade concert in the HS gym.
- April/May MS band has OMEA solo and ensemble competition and they go to Kings Island.
- HS Band goes to Orlando the day after graduation. Andy would like $4,000 for the trip to supplement the kids who can’t afford. Also needs four new tubas, $8K a piece. School board turned him down.
- Trying to figure out 6th grade band now that they will be part of the middle school next year.
- HS band has grown so that they have to split into two classes.
- Discussed the need for advocacy for the music programs.
- Need to speak louder about the college scholarship music students earn, what the program brings to the district, the quality of the music arts program.
Jazz Band – Andrea Lourie for Jason Hogue
- Trumpeter Ben Huntoon and Saxophonist Bryan Olsheski have been joining the jazz band for rehearsals and has made the band much better.
- Concert isMarch 16 with guest artist Ben Huntoon on lead trumpet.
Choir – Laura Martin for Amy Blosser
- 12 was the successful Chorale Cupid Cabaret. It was a packed house, and they raise funds to donate to survivors of Human Trafficking.
- Sunday, March 5 is the next concert for choirs, grades 7-12, at 2p.m. in the Schottenstein Theater. It will celebrate women while focusing on women poets and composers. Free childcare will be provided, and it should be a great event! Parent helpers will be receiving an email from me tomorrow with assignments.
- Tuesday, March 14 is the Elementary/MS Choral Festival at 7 p.m. in the Schottenstein Theater. All three elementary choirs will perform as will both 7thand 8th
- MS students are registering for Solo & Ensemble contest which is April 8.
- The BHS Vocal Ensemble was named as a finalist for the Youth & High School Chorus division of The American Prize. Only nine choirs were selected as finalists. They will travel to NYC to perform in Lincoln Center March 17-21, and have performances also in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and St. Paul the Apostle churches.
Upcoming BMP Meetings:
- April 5: If you are interested in holding an office or nominating someone else to hold and office for 2016-17, please speak with one of the current officers or your student’s music director before this meeting date.
- May 3: Officer elections for the 2017-18 school year.